naivechild
You must've remembered what I had said.

After a day of shopping and hanging out with friends who I hadn't seen recently, I came home to a long awaited and dearly missed evening.

It's been a while since I've come home at that time, shopped for groceries, and cooked dinner with you like that.

Noise filled the house as the sounds of chopping vegetables, clanging pots and pans, bickering and laughter mixed together on that warm spring afternoon.
Water bubbled nicely in the pot, soon to be turned into curry laksa, and I had a boiled egg peeling race with my sister.
Shouts echoed across the room as we hurried the boys to stop playing games and to come and eat.
The tv was turned on and a classic chinese music dvd slipped into the dvd player, adding melody to all the bustle.
We crowded around the kitchen bench, each with our own bowl of laksa, eating and singing along to the music.
I complained about not wanting to eat my egg whites, made fun of my cousin, and bickered playfully with my brother.
Complaints about the curry being spicy were made, tofu was stolen, chopsticks were dropped and soup was left over.

It was a long overdue family dinner. I had missed all the noise and clatter, smiles and laughter, joy and love.

It's been a while since we cooked dinner like that.
It's been a while since I acted like a big baby just because I wanted affection from you.
It's been a while since I'd seen that relaxed, genuine, pure smile and laugh.

I've missed those times, and even if they don't happen every day anymore, I'm glad for the time you made that night.

Because I've missed you.
And it's been a while...mum.
2 Responses
  1. J... Says:

    it really is the simple things in life that brings us the most joy. I hope you have more dinners like that in the coming future =)


  2. Unknown Says:

    I concur :). A lovely description of I'm a sure a most lovely evening :).

    Hears to more in the future as well!